Re: [platform-dev] Recent API Removal breaks clients

For JFace Assert, the deprecation is now 7 years old, and the alternative API to use has been available for 15 years.
For platform.getJobManager(), the deprecation is now 6 years old, and the alternative API to use has been available for 15 years.

I don't disagree. I want to add one more point for your consideration.

Let's take a look at JFace Assert. A completely useless class. Not in use by a lot of people. I can totally understand that this class has to go. Good riddance.

Platform.getJobManager is IMHO a different case. Platform and PlatformUI are the King and Queen of Eclipse Platform. Changing API in the Platform class is much more likely to break a lot of clients.

Instead of removing the method, we could perhaps tuck it away as a deprecated, Javadoc-less oneliner at the end of the class.

Not ideal, but IMO a better choice for our community.

PS

or (perhaps a silly idea, don't hate me) create a class PlatformDeprecated that Platform extends and move dead wood there.

Back to the top