From:        Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Eclipse platform general developers list." <platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        27.02.2020 21:03
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [platform-releng-dev] 4.15 maintenance branch
Sent by:        platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

since we've started with Eclipse quarterly release cadence we've
basically stopped development on maintenance branch. I saw that few
commits were done here and there, but I didn't found any strategy /
guidance.

In short, I maintain private 4.12 SDK branch with lot of backported
patches from master. I do this for our product, and I plan to start
another maintenance branch for 4.15 soon.

This time I believe it would make sense to not maintain my own private
branch, but just push backported patches we need to the "official"
R4_15_maintenance branch.

What would be the "right" way to do so? Do I need any approval from
component leads, do I need extra bugs opened to backport regression
fixes, any "+1" from other developers? Or can I just push, run gerrit
build, and if it is green, merge? Since no one seem to work on
maintenance branches anyway, this should be not a problem for anyone?

Another question would be if we could produce some regular SDK snapshot
builds from that branch, and if there are resources & interest for this?
I personally don't need that build, we build SDK locally, but it could
be something people are searching for.

I'm asking here because I believe it makes sense to give results of my
(paid) maintenance work back to community, and it is really sad to see
people searching for some fixes on a "known good" SDK version but seeing
only the way to get a new major SDK version with new unknown regressions
instead.

Please note, I do not plan to maintain backports branch for every major
SDK release, I have only resources (and plan) to do this for *some*
releases.

So there are basically two questions:

1) What are the rules for backporting patches to maintenance branch?
2) Any interest in producing SDK builds from this branch?

--
Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov