[platform-dev] E4 UI for Eclipse Core Resources

Hello,

From time to time I need to represent IResource and IMarker inside the E4 application. Ideally, I would like to have the ExtendedMarkersView with all the surrounding functionality available for E4 - but for today "org.eclipse.ui.ide" is huge and it is heavily coupled with E3 Workbench. So, it may be the long story to decouple it, that will involve a lot of related E3->E4 problems like IMemento and so on, but we need to start a discussion at some point.

My suggestion:
1) create "org.eclipse.e4.ui.ide" bundle to be a home of shared functionality for both E3 and E4. It may be also named "org.eclipse.e4.ui.resources". 2) put it in between of the current bundles to not break the downstream:  "org.eclipse.ui.ide" -> "org.eclipse.e4.ui.ide" -> "org.eclipse.core.resources". 3) avoid having API in the new "org.eclipse.e4.ui.ide" bundle until it will be mature enough.
What do you think?

P.S. Please avoid generic criticism of E4 in this topic, at the end we need to be consistent: we should either continue to improve E4 story or revert Platform back to 3.8+ stream :)

Thanks,
AF

Back to the top