This indeed is a(nother) problem, because our applications (SmartGit, ...) could update themselves until 10.14. I wonder how native macOS application will handle that. Config files were usually stored outside the .app structure, but I don't see a technical reason to not have them inside the .app structure unless they are changed by the application itself.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer
=============
syntevo GmbH
https://www.syntevo.com
https://www.syntevo.com/blog

On 2019-08-05 11:09, Mikaël Barbero wrote:
I'm willing to help improving the CBI macOS signing to let project notarize their apps. However, I would need some help about the "Hardened Runtime capability". I guess this is something to be done on the Tycho or Equinox side first, correct?

Also, from what I read here https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow#3087732, the notarization process "typically takes less than an hour". It means that it could make the build much slower than it is today (esp. because today the signing process is synchronous with the build). Any idea how to change that? Should the signing/notarization occur in a separate CI job?

@Thomas
IIRC notarized apps cannot be modified, meaning that config files, p2 bundle pool etc.. can't live inside the .app anymore. Correct? If this is the case, how do you follow https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/BundleTypes/BundleTypes.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000123i-CH101-SW13 more closely? Do you store config files, bundle pool etc. in folders recommended by https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGuide/AccessingFilesandDirectories/AccessingFilesandDirectories.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010672-CH3-SW11?

Thanks.

Mikaël Barbero
Team Lead - Release Engineering | Eclipse Foundation
📱 (+33) 642 028 039 | 🐦 @mikbarbero
Eclipse Foundation <http://www.eclipse.org/>: The Platform for Open Innovation and Collaboration