I'll have a blog published shortly that provides the workaround for users but I'm wondering about other creative ways we could help users know about this. AKA if the Eclipse executable itself detected Windows Defender scanning and let the user know about the workaround, then at least they'd know that Defender is slowing things down, not Eclipse itself.  Or if we were able to somehow have Microsoft "trust" the Jar signing certificate from Eclipse.org and avoid doing so extensive validation of plugins originating there.

Ultimately this is more of a project/product level concern as I see it for the Eclipse IDE than just a one-developer workaround issue.  I may be wrong though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tim

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yikes! Is it possible to keep the extracted zip around, in a way that Defender wouldn't have to rescan it?

McQ.

----- Original message -----
From: Tim Webb <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] Impact of Windows Defender and Eclipse startup
Date: Fri, Jun 14, 2019 8:41 AM

TL;DR - Windows Defender adds 1.5 minutes or more to Eclipse launch

Lately, I've heard some colleagues grumbling about how Eclipse startup seems slower. I'll admit that I'm recently back on Windows after years on Mac and was surprised. Some quick metrics:

0:05 - time to extract 354mb JEE 2019-06 RC1 zip
1:28 - time spent by Windows Defender before Eclipse workspace prompt

A similar slowdown is observed after Eclipse updates, either itself or when adding plugins.

I'm running on a fast laptop (latest Intel i7, 32gb ram, etc.).  A colleague had a large Eclipse setup blocked for 11 minutes before he got the workspace prompt, though likely had some other load on the box at the time.

I've been googling around trying to find ways to submit/pre-approve plugins, etc. but so far Windows Defender doesn't seem to have ways that other virus software does. My assumption is it is scanning all jar files as "potential malicious executables."

Is this something others have observed/already pursued solutions for? Yes, there is a workaround of just turning off/excluding folders from Windows Defender, but as plugin makers, we're concerned about the perceived impact of "Eclipse is slow" that this gives.

Tim