[platform-dev] Eclipse is great, but...

Hey all!

Ok, trying to get my head around switching my fav IDE
(UltraEdit) to eclipse. I like most of what I see in
eclipse but I do have a few issues I am hoping might be
cleared up as I am a newbie to it and may just be
overlooking some things.

First, are there any hot-key capabilities to execute my
Ant build scripts? It appears I have to right-click on
it and use Run Ant and so forth, or use the toolbar
running man icon, select my script. Not to sound lazy,
but being able to execute my build via pressing F5 or
something, would be a bit faster and its how I do it in
my present IDE.

Second, I am a big fan of seeing the project in a full
tree view, as oppose to seeing my source code in the
packages layout. Is there any way to change the look of
my /src dir to use the tree view instead of displaying
each package?

I also see a few other things, like the classpath .jar
files I have assigned for this project. I like to see my
project without these items. Any way to "hide" them or
remove them so that they are not part of my project
tree? I am not sure why they are displayed, to me they
don't server any purpose, although it is kewl how you
can open up the .jar, the .class files and see all the
methods. Perhaps that is the purpose? So you can see all
the methods you can call? Anyway, I'd like to be able to
hide them if possible.

Also, when I do click on my script to run it, it keeps
telling me javac12.exe couldn't execute, and tells me to
make sure JAVA_HOME is set. It is set, to my JDK 1.3.1
or 1.4.1 (depending on machine) so I am not sure why it
is not able to execute. Any help there would be great.

As far as I can tell, those are my biggest issues. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

> To post to this list, send your email to:
>
>   platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to
> or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your
> subscription page at:
>
>   http://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/options/platform-dev/kevin.duffey%40attbi.com

>   platform-dev-request@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> with the word `help' in the subject or body (don't include the
> quotes), and you will get back a message with instructions.
>
> You must know your password to change your options (including changing
> the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:
>
>   051598041401
>
> If you forget your password, don't worry, you will receive a monthly
> reminder telling you what all your eclipse.org mailing list passwords
> are, and how to unsubscribe or change your options.  There is also a
> button on your options page that will email your current password to
> you.
>
> You may also have your password mailed to you automatically off of the
> Web page noted above.

Back to the top