Re: [platform-core-dev] Fw: [platform-releng-dev] [eclipse-build]Build N20051118-0010 (Timestamp: 200511180010):Automated JUnit testing complete. Test failures/errors occurred.

+1

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/21/2005 02:44 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."

platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev]         Fw: [platform-releng-dev]        [eclipse-build]Build        N20051118-0010        (Timestamp:        200511180010):Automated JUnit testing        complete.        Test failures/errors        occurred.

It's about time we updated this module definition.  I can send in the request to the webmaster if we are in agreement on what the module should include.  We can either keep a single "platform-core" module that includes all core projects, or we could split into two "platform-runtime" and "platform-resources" modules.  I'm in favour of the single module for simplicity... most people aren't interested in the fine distinctions we make between "core" plugins.  Note that these module definitions only exist for the convenience of platform developers - they don't need to represent architecturally significant divisions or separately shippable groups of plugins.

org.eclipse.osgi

org.eclipse.osgi.services

org.eclipse.osgi.util

org.eclipse.equinox.common
org.eclipse.equinox.registry
org.eclipse.equinox.preferences
org.eclipse.core.jobs
org.eclipse.core.contenttype

org.eclipse.core.runtime

org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility

org.eclipse.core.expressions

org.eclipse.core.filesystem

org.eclipse.core.resources

org.eclipse.core.resources.compatibility

org.eclipse.core.variables

John

----- Forwarded by John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM on 21/11/2005 02:34 PM -----
Nick Edgar/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

21/11/2005 12:18 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse platform release engineering list."

"Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-releng-dev]        [eclipse-build]Build        N20051118-0010        (Timestamp:        200511180010):Automated JUnit testing        complete.        Test failures/errors        occurred.

Is there a CVS module that captures these dependencies for those that want
to load org.eclipse.core.runtime and its prereqs from HEAD?
There's platform-core, but it's out of date, and also includes
core.resources.

Oleg Besedin/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
11/19/2005 01:09 PM
Please respond to
"Eclipse platform release engineering list."

platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-releng-dev]       [eclipse-build]Build    N20051118-0010
(Timestamp:     200511180010):Automated JUnit testing   complete. Test
failures/errors occurred.

There was a change in the org.eclipse.core.runtime that might affect
people who specify classpaths explicitly (such as javadoc scripts).

The org.eclipse.core.runtime plugin is being split into several portions:
org.eclipse.equinox.common - portions that are needed by more than one
piece of the former runtime plugin (i.e. IPath, IStatus, IProgressMonitor)

org.eclipse.equinox.supplement - some functionality presently located in
OSGi plugin, but needed to be available in the environments with no OSGi
(i.e. NLS)
org.eclipse.equinox.registry - Extension registry separated from the
runitme
org.eclipse.equinox.preferences - Preferences mechanism separated from the
runitme
org.eclipse.core.jobs - Jobs mechanism separated from the runtime
org.eclipse.core.contenttype - Content mechanism separated from the
runtime

As a result, the org.eclipse.core.runtime plugin becomes much smaller.

The change should have being transparent to all clients. To test it, few
recent nightly build were run with the runtime source code being picked up
from the equinox-incubator\runtime-split.

However, a few issues have been found (surprise, surprise :-)).

One of the items I didn't consider was that some build and javadoc scripts
would explicitly specify classpaths.

As a result of this change, custom scripts that had
org.eclispe.core.runtime specified in the classpath need to add one or
more of the following:
org.eclipse.equinox.common
org.eclipse.equinox.registry
org.eclipse.equinox.preferences
org.eclipse.core.jobs
org.eclipse.core.contenttype

to the classpaths.

Normal build is not affected as the org.eclipse.core.runtime re-exports
all those new plugins. If you don't have custom scripts, then no change is
necessary.

I will try to contact plugin owners for the problems picked up by the
nightly build (i.e. javadoc problems below).

If you know of a situation where org.eclipse.core.runtime was specified on
a class path explicitly (such as custom build scripts?) please let me
know.

Sincerely,
Oleg Besedin

Douglas Pollock <douglas.pollock@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
11/19/2005 08:43 AM

Please respond to
dpollock and "Eclipse platform release engineering list."

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/N20051118-0010/compilel

>ogs/platform.doc.isv.javadoc.txt

A lot of these look bogus.  For example:

/builds/N/src/plugins/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/../org.eclipse.ui.workbench/Eclipse

UI/org/eclipse/ui/IEditorInput.java:13: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class IAdaptable
location: package runtime
import org.eclipse.core.runtime.IAdaptable;

In the N20051119-0010 build, there are still warnings, but now most of
them
complain that they can't find IContentType.

Has something changed in the build itself?

d.