[photran] Problem Implementing Eclipse 2019-06 with Fortran

I am a new user for Eclipse, although I have been using computers since the early 1960's for my work.

I downloaded the 2019-06 version for my Debian Linux platform and elected to install the Eclipse for Scientific Computing as my first programming language was FORTRAN II (yes, there was that version.) I then downloaded and installed PyDEV as I am also using Python for some of my applications. But enough background.

Implementing Python presented no problems. FORTRAN, however, is another matter.

I have been trying to follow the steps in the 'Starting a Project with an Auto-Generated Makefile" in Help.

Step 3. Choose "Executable (Gun Fortran)' from the project type list. The problem is that there is no such selection in Executable pull down menu. Unchecking the "Show project type . . ." dones not expand the list.

There is an entry "Executable (Gnu Fortran on Linux/*nix)" in the Others pull down menu.

At this point, about ready to give up, but on a whim, i opened a terminal and ran 'gfortran hello.f90' which resulted in an executable a.out file, which, when run output 'Hello World. But, when I clicked on Build Targets/HelloFortran/Debug/hello I got the followign errors:

14:53:00 **** Build of configuration Debug for project HelloFortran ****
make hello
cc   hello.o   -o hello
/usr/bin/ld: hello.o: in function `MAIN__':
/home/comp/Apps/Eclipse/workspace/HelloFortran/Debug/../hello.f90:3: undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write' /usr/bin/ld: /home/comp/Apps/Eclipse/workspace/HelloFortran/Debug/../hello.f90:3: undefined reference to `_gfortran_transfer_character_write' /usr/bin/ld: /home/comp/Apps/Eclipse/workspace/HelloFortran/Debug/../hello.f90:3: undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write_done'
/usr/bin/ld: hello.o: in function `main':
/home/comp/Apps/Eclipse/workspace/HelloFortran/Debug/../hello.f90:4: undefined reference to `_gfortran_set_args' /usr/bin/ld: /home/comp/Apps/Eclipse/workspace/HelloFortran/Debug/../hello.f90:4: undefined reference to `_gfortran_set_options'
make: *** [<builtin>: hello] Error 1
"make hello" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

14:53:01 Build Failed. 8 errors, 0 warnings. (took 300ms)

At this point an excess of mental entropy made me decide to take an break and compose this message.

Is there a better source of help than the Eclipse Help Files?

I appreciate the effort expended to read to this point.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.            Life is a fuzzy set
http://www.Molecular-Modeling.net    Multivariate and stochastic

Back to the top