Re: [photran] mature project, complex makefile

Hi Jason,

0. Need an IDE that runs in Linux.
1. Debug support, esp. via GUI. I currently use print statements. This
2. Ability to search for References or open Declarations like I can with
3. I like the tree view on the left in eclipse that summarizes classes
4. The real-time underlining of unrecognized variables or other syntax

It looks like I will have to wait for preprocessor support before I can
realistically gain from Photran (vs vim) for my project. Is that right?

Actually, only #2 and #3 will depend on our adding preprocessor support. The debugger is basically independent of the rest of Photran -- it uses symbols your compiler stores in the binary -- and #4 is done by "error parsers" which just scan the output of your compiler for error messages and place markers on the lines indicated by the compiler. Obviously #2 and #3 are where you will see the most value over vim, but having an integrated debugger, multi-file text search, CVS, and error marking are also quite nice. Since Photran can compile your project using an existing Makefile, it should be fairly painless to try it under Photran (I'm not sure why you'd need to write a new Makefile, as you suggested), so I'd encourage you to give it a shot.

Jeff

Back to the top