Re: [pde-dev] Source references and bundle imports

On 05/17/2010 07:44 PM, Darin Wright wrote:
know, because I had to copy large parts of the provisional
implementation in order to get things working.
I'm assuming you'd like API to generate headers for use outside of PDE
build?

Yes :-)

Ideally, I'd like to see the team RepositoryProvider extended with methods for PSF support. Both generating and parsing. The PSF format can be used for any type of project, and not just the PDE related ones.

The RepositoryProvider methods could then be used by both the PDE ant tasks and other types of build systems.

Has there been any dialog around this new functionality with the other
team providers (Subversive, Egit, Subclipse)?
Not directly. However, the infrastructure/header format (SCMURL) was
designed with community feedback.

I was thinking about the new source references functionality and if the current SCMURL is sufficient. One thing that comes to mind is how to describe the management of a git or mercurial clone and subsequent check out of an individual project. It can become a lot of information to squeeze into a single string. Distributed SCM's are becoming more and more popular.

Another though is that you often use one URI to check things out with committer rights. You might need that even in an unattended build in order to tag things after completion. That URI is probably not what you want to use for the source reference. It would be very nice if the team provider had an API that would allow asking for the anonymous reference. Again, an API that could be shared by both the PDE ant tasks and other types of build systems ;-)

- thomas

Back to the top