Re: [pde-dev] GSoC 2010 What do You think about Guice DI visualization ?

Czesc Szymon,

Your idea is very promising, in previous years students already provided graph visualizations for various systems, e.g. plugins visualization, which provided useful.
Now to turn your idea into project, you still need to figure out few things. Where do you see Guice DI graph visualization in Eclipse? Should it be put together with plug-in development tools, or with java development tools? Or maybe there's some Google Guice plug-in already, that could be extended with your visualizations?
Answering this question will lead you to project and committers that may be potentially interested to mentor you.

if you're more into visualizations than into Guice stuff, I'd also think about visualizing builds. Specifically PDE Builds are big magic and lot of people have no idea what happens between start and the end of the build. If something goes different than expected, you can either hope for some clue in the log or die in your shoes (or ask here, what I do :-P). Recently, folks are working on B3 - a new build story, so you may also be interested to enrich B3 rather than PDE Build. Of course PDE Build already has huge user base, so you'd quickly become super star, whereas B3 is in an early phase, so it could take more time to make your work visible.

Oh and since I'm already answering this e-mail and I'm more into web tools, I'd suggest you also take look at visualizing web stuff :-) For example _javascript_ development tools (JSDT) has general problem with correctly presenting variables declared in JS file. It's interesting, because JS is crazy language, where you can define variables in many ways and undefine them whenever you want. Right now JSDT has very limited capabilities in this area, which makes working with _javascript_ pretty difficult. Solution would require properly analysing JS code (no worry, it's already parsed so you're working on high-level model) and building variables information correctly. How about this?