Re: [paho-dev] R: R: R: Paho Java Client retransmission implementation

Hi Cristiano,

the reason that Paho clients do not retry QoS 1 and 2 messages within a session is that the MQTT 3.1.1 specification dictates this behaviour. This was a change from MQTT 3.1. One option for the broker is to delay the acknowledgement of QoS 1 and 2 messages, rather than ignore them entirely.

We are discussing this problem of flow control right now in the MQTT specification work group: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/MQTT-257, with the goal of having some resolution in the next version of MQTT. Undoubtedly there will be some ability to negatively acknowledge publish packets in the next version of MQTT, as everyone agrees this is needed (https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/MQTT-236). This in itself would provide another mechanism for the broker to manage message rates.

In the meantime, if there are changes to behaviour we can make in the Paho clients which help but remain conformant to the MQTT 3.1.1 specification, we will be happy to look into them. The inflight message queue is only small in some client implementations - in the C asynchronous client for example there is no limit, except for the number of MQTT packet ids (64k), but I would not recommend going anywhere near 64k outstanding messages!

Some client implementations (not in Paho) have the ability to limit throughput on the client side, but I think that is not dynamically dependent on the broker workload.

Ian