[paho-dev] Paho command line utilities

Hello committers,

I noticed the other day that Al has stdinpub and stdoutsub for his Go client. This is what I called the command line utilities for the C client a long time ago, and I think that a rename is in order.

Mosquitto has mosquitto_pub and mosquitto_sub, so I thought we should have paho_pub and paho_sub. But we have a number of language implementations, and sometimes different APIs within the same language. To avoid name clashes when more than one client library is installed, I propose that we have a convention where each client library calls its command line utilities:

paho_<lang>_sub

and

paho_<lang>_pub

where <lang> is really the tag of your choice. It's a bit unwieldy but I'm not sure if there's a better way - let me know if you have an alternative suggestion. Whether you have command line utilities is of course optional, I find command line utilities invaluable for testing.

So for the C client, we would have

paho_c_sub, paho_c_pub

This will be complicated by MQTT-SN too, but I'm sure we can work something out.

--
Ian Craggs
Paho Project Lead; Committer on Mosquitto

Back to the top