[paho-dev] Android service: security issues

Hi all,

When creating a MqttAndroidClient using SSL it is not possible to choose the protocol. This is because the method getSSLSocketFactory creates the SSLContext with this line:

ctx = SSLContext.getInstance(“SSL”);

This will force to SSL 3.0 or lower, and these versions have known vulnerabilities. I propose to add a parameter in the method for choosing the version, or force to “TLSv1.2" (but this implies Android API's 16+).

Another improvement I’d like to propose is client authentication with TLS. For this, it is needed to modify the same method to read a private key, create a KeyManager and load it in the ssl context. I already tested it and it works fine.

Regards.

David

Back to the top