[paho-dev] Varying Delay for MQTT Messages

Hi all,

I am experiencing some behavior I cannot explain.

Here is what I do.

I am using the paho-c library and as a reference the paho python library. My Broker is mosquitto.

The goal of my experiments is to measure the application layer roundtrip time. Therefore I have the following setup

Application <----> Broker <---> Reflector

What I do is:

*  I take the time in the application, put it into a packet and send it to the broker. (QoS 0)
* The reflector is subscribed to theses messages, receives them, packs them into a new packet and sends the back to the broker using a different topic.
* Finally I receive the message back at the application, take the current time and calculate the time difference between the current time and the time contained in the packet.

I have this implementation, both in C and in Python. All processes are running on the same machine.

No here are the observations that keep me busy.

If I watch the application delay for the c implementation I get something like
5, 1005, 106, 5, 1005, 104, 6 ...

For the python implementation it is like:
5, 5, 5, 6, 4, ....

You see the difference, unfortunately I need an implementation in C thanks to the target platform. I checked my code several times, there is nothing I could pinpoint to cause the delay.

To me, it resembles effects that I have seen in other projects when using TCP. Could it be, that somewhere in the library code  there is some issue with the socket handling?

Any other ideas? Did I miss a configuration flag or something?

Cheers,

Chris

Back to the top