Re: [paho-dev] Mqtt Paho - Trying to publish while broker is unreachable

Paul,

my RSMB broker (for which the code is in the Mosquitto project) has dynamic bridges (and has had for several years).

Your suggestion is interesting.  If we published to a broker topic (possibly prefixed by a $ as alternative behaviour is allowed in the 3.1.1 spec), then a normal MQTT application could listen for any such message, and set up a dynamic bridge to the remote system.  You can do this with RSMB today (except that RSMB does not persist messages to disk so messages are lost over a restart).

Dynamic bridges is a feature I was thinking of asking if Roger wanted to add to Mosquitto.

This is an option I had previously thought of rather than implementing offline buffering in the clients.  But given that very simple offline buffering should be easy to add, both approaches could have their place.   Do you agree?

Ian