Re: [p2-dev] Current status of missing pgp-keys

Christoph,

Comments below.

Note that I've been tracking overall issues via https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipse-wg/ide-wg/ide-wg.eclipse.org/-/issues/11

On 22.02.2022 05:50, Christoph Läubrich wrote:
Hi Ed thanks for the explanation.

> Yes, without a key server enabled it fails completely.

So given I have a key-server configured it will try to fetch the key from there? Is this UI only or will this also work for the commandline?

It currently works only by setting a system property p2.keyservers, i.e., no UI support at all.  The specified value is split by split("[,; \t]+") to allow multiple servers.  I've been testing manually using this:

-Dp2.keyservers=keyserver.ubuntu.com,keys.openpgp.org

I'd like to provide UI support but without an eclipse key server it seems kind of odd to do so:

https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/issues/797

> We could treat it as unsigned content

that would be great I think.
Yes, I think that would have less extreme failure behavior should there be a failure to find the key.  There's not much development runway left for this release cycle.  Could you reopen the bug you had open?

> In any case, it's  obvious that if we can't find the key,
> we can't verify anything...

Sure, I more like to support the case where the key is not embedded but I give a keyserver to download the key later on, especially with tycho on the commandline.

Yes, that should work.  I've been testing installs where org.mockito.mockito-core has two signatures, both the one the platform/Tycho added and the original one from maven repository and it is able to verify both signatures when a key server is specified.

It seems to me that it might be better if Tycho preserved the original signature, or had the option to do so, so that one can better track the original originator of the artifact...  One might even argue that its unnecessary to add a signature to the original signature, but there is the issue of prompting users whether to trust each key and I don't think users want to see dozens of such keys while being told to "be very careful".