Re: [p2-dev] p2 replacement for InstallHandler

On 2011-03-30, at 3:50 AM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

> Pascal,
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. The provisioning actions seem to be the
> right path for me. I've got a bunch of questions:
> 1. I didn't understand how to view the output of your example - it
> outputs everything to System.out instead of Eclipse log. Is there a
> way I can debug provisioning actions from PDE?
	You should be able to debug by enabling the "software support installation..." option in the configuration tab of the launch configuration.
Note that the p2 profile generated is abridged and will not contain reference to features, so be sure in your experiment to not require a feature.

> 2. ProvisioningAction moved to other package in Eclipse 3.6+. Does
> that mean that I'll need to provide two separate plugins for 3.5 and
> 3.6+?
	Yes.

> 3. Does the feature that runs install action need to be separate from
> feature that contains the plugin with action implementation, like in
> your example? Can I put p2.inf only to 1 plugin and 1 feature that
> contains it? (or maybe even just to plugin??)
	Typically you want to keep the plugin containing the action separated from the plugin being installed, since they serve different purpose and have slightly different lifecycles (for example the action is not necessary once the application has been installed)
The action does not need to be in its own feature and can just be delivered in a plugin.

> Thanks again,
> Andrey
>
> 2011/3/30 Pascal Rapicault <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The installer handlers are replaced by a combination of two concepts:
>> - touchpoint, touchpoint actions, that allows to run code as part of the execution
>> - metarequirements that are usually carried by the IU that uses this actions and thus helps in making sure that the action is properly installed before the installation proceeds.
>>
>> Here is an example attached.
>>

>> On 2011-03-25, at 7:04 AM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed that all org.eclipse.update.core bundle and InstallHandler
>>> in particular were deprecated, but the description is very poor. How
>>> can I implement install handler for my plugin/feature using Equinox
>>> API? Can I have a simple example of p2.inf?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andrey