[p2-dev] Unwanted side effects from locking

Hi,

I installed a product from our repository on build.eclipse.org using the director. I used a 'file:/' URL as a -r argument. This resulted in a .artifactlock/.metadata in that repository that was owned by me and only writable by me and my group. This lead to problems later on when our Hudson build attempted to publish a new repository to the same location. Message as follows:

Failed to copy /opt/users/hudsonbuild/.hudson/jobs/buckminster-head/workspace/output/org.eclipse.buckminster.site.eclipse.headless_1.4.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/.artifactlock/.metadata/.lock to /home/data/httpd/download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.7/.artifactlock/.metadata/.lock due to can't write to read-only destination file /home/data/httpd/download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.7/.artifactlock/.metadata/.lock and I couldn't delete the corrupt /home/data/httpd/download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.7/.artifactlock/.metadata/.lock

Does this mean that the semantics for a read-only access to the repository is different when I use 'file' or 'http'? I imagine it will be hard to set a lock using the latter. Why isn't the lock (and the directories that it creates), writable to everyone? I think that they either should be "owned" by the publisher and thus only placed there when publishing or be fully accessible to everyone.

- thomas

Back to the top