RE: [p2-dev] Follow-Up: trouble with prestartupdate example

Hi Thomas,

The NullPointer is in

IProfile profile = "">session.getProfileRegistry().getProfile(profileId),

So either the profile or the profile registry could be null.

Check whether your profile is not null. This is unlikely.

The profile registry could be null if the IprofileRegistry service is not registered.

IProfileRegistry getProfileRegistry() {

            return (IProfileRegistry) agent.getService(IProfileRegistry.SERVICE_NAME);

IprofileRegistry is provided by org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine as a Declarative service.

So the  IprofileRegistry service is not registered at the time of the NullPointer:

This could happen if:

1.       The org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine is not started at that time of the NullPointer: check whether it is started and ensure it starts before your bundle.

2.       org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine is started, but the DS still is unregisterd (as the register happens asynchronous)

What you can do is to force the registering of the service.

In your code before

UpdateOperation operation = new UpdateOperation(session);

Try to get the IProfileRegistry service

Context is the Bundle context:

ServiceReference[] references = context.getAllServiceReferences(IprofileRegistry.class.getName(), null);

This will give you an array of ServiceReferences.

ServiceReference reference = // get one of the services you choose from references(it will be probably just one)

// this will enforce the registering of the service

Context.getService(reference);

Regards,

Elena