Re: [p2-dev] Shared Installs

I used to do this and it mostly works fine for regular eclipse usage however there can be some subtleties when native actions decide they want to write or unzip to ${installFolder} which would be successful instead of failing and rolling back.
I'm more paranoid now so only use a read-only shared install as this is something defined. I then explicitly use root/change permissions and then directly run the shared install for any updates or native changes.

Inactive hide details for Pascal Rapicault---01/28/2010 08:38:21 PM---No other subtle differences, at least not that I can thinPascal Rapicault---01/28/2010 08:38:21 PM---No other subtle differences, at least not that I can think of :) |------------>

Pascal Rapicault/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

P2 developer discussions <p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/28/2010 08:38 PM

Re: [p2-dev] Shared Installs

Sent by:

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

No other subtle differences, at least not that I can think of :)

Inactive hide details for Ian Bull ---28/01/2010 08:19:17 PM---Is there any difference between running eclipse in a read only dIan Bull ---28/01/2010 08:19:17 PM---Is there any difference between running eclipse in a read only directory vs. setting the -configuration option when launching e

Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

28/01/2010 08:19 PM

[p2-dev] Shared Installs

Is there any difference between running eclipse in a read only directory vs. setting the -configuration option when launching eclipse. In both cases, you get a local configuration, p2, plugins and features directory, as well as a local artifacts.xml.  All changes (configuration changes, new installs, etc...) all happen in local area.

So is the only difference that running eclipse in a read-only directory sets the -configuration flag automatically, or is there more subtle differences?

cheers,
ian

http://eclipsesource.com | http://twitter.com/eclipsesource_______________________________________________