[p2-dev] strangeness when running p2 as web archive

I'm fussing with running p2 with a web archive (war) installation, and am getting some strangeness RE: the equinox frameworkadmin implementation when trying to revert/uninstall IUs. Before describing what's happening in the source, I need to say that this is on the R3_5_maintenance branch.

Here's what's happening:

I create/install and run (under tomcat servlet container) an Equinox war. The webapp starts up/runs in Tomcat, and the OSGi console comes up (and the p2 console commands are present as the p2 command provider is present). All is well at this point.

I can then use the p2 console commands to install a group IU (i.e. provaddrepo/provinstall,confapply).

But then when I try to revert to a previous profile timestamp (via new p2 console command I'm working on), the revert fails, because this fwConfigLocation.equals(fwPersistentDataLocation) fails and throws:

(EquinoxManipulatorImpl line:64)
               if (!fwConfigLocation.equals(fwPersistentDataLocation))
                   throw new IllegalStateException(message removed);

In debugging into this code, I noticed that *before* this code throws, there is code in EquinoxManipulatorImpl.loadWithoutFwPersistentData that *sets* the launcerData.fwPersistentDataLocation to a non-null value. That is, I can see that at EquinoxManipulatorImpl.loadWithoutFwPersistentData line:353, the contents of launcherData field is:

Class:org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxLauncherData
fwName=Equinox
fwVersion=3.3
launcherName=Eclipse.exe
launcherVersion=3.2
jvm=null
jvmArgs = null
programArgs = null
fwConfigLocation=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\configuration
fwJar=null
fwPersistentDataLocation=null
home=null
launcher=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\eclipse.exe
launcherConfigLocation=null
clean=false

But then the following code is executed (this code is in EquinoxManipulatorImpl.loadWithoutFwPersistentData()):

File launcherConfigFile = getLauncherConfigLocation(launcherData); <-line 353 // After this is executed, launcherConfigFile=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\eclipse.ini if (launcherConfigFile != null && !launcherConfigFile.getName().endsWith(IGNORED)) { // This block is entered, and the parser.read call is made. // use launcher. -- > load from LaucnherConfig file.
           // the parameters in memory will be updated.
           EclipseLauncherParser parser = new EclipseLauncherParser();
           parser.read(launcherConfigFile, launcherData);
       }

And at this point in the code (i.e. after the parser.read), the value of launcherData is now:

Class:org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxLauncherData
fwName=Equinox
fwVersion=3.3
launcherName=Eclipse.exe
launcherVersion=3.2
jvm=null
jvmArgs = null
programArgs = null
fwConfigLocation=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\configuration
fwJar=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.1.R35x_v20090827.jar
fwPersistentDataLocation=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\plugins\configuration
home=null
launcher=C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse\eclipse.exe
launcherConfigLocation=null
clean=false

Notice that the fwConfigLocation and the fwPersistentDataLocation are not equal (and now both non-null). The fwPersistentDataLocation has ...eclipse\plugins\configuration (incorrect) while the fwConfigLocation has ...eclipse\configuration. So the !equals test succeeds and the IllegalStateException is now thrown.

I noticed that the eclipse.ini file that is actually read with the parser.read is *empty* (0 bytes). So somehow the parser.read(launcherConfigFile, launcherData); line is changing the launcherData value for fwPersistentDataLocation even when the eclipse.ini is completely empty.

Then if I *delete* the eclipse.ini file from the directory above before doing the revert the revert then succeeds. But here's an interesting part...as a side effect of the revert (or the confapply) an *empty* eclipse.ini file is then introduced back into the C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\eclipsert102\eclipse directory. I have no idea why an empty eclipse.ini is introduced...so the problem described above then shows up again (because the eclipse.ini file is present).

Scott

Back to the top