[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[p2-dev] Initializer, 3.4.0 -> 3.4.1, and RPM upgrade failure
- From: Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:28:44 -0400
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.18 (2008-05-17)
As some of you know, we have RPMs in Fedora of the Eclipse SDK.
Basically we just build the SDK, generate metadata, provision using the
director, and ship the result.
Of note, however, is that we also use the Equinox Initializer
application to extract any .so files from JARs. I believe this is
causing the following problem:
- user installs 3.4.0 RPMs (data gets put into /usr/lib/eclipse)
- user makes use of 3.4.0 SDK and is happy (stuff gets written to
<user's home directory>/.eclipse)
- user upgrades to 3.4.1 RPMs (/usr/lib/eclipse is over-written with 3.4.1)
- user starts 3.4.1 and is happy
- user starts 3.4.1 *a second time* and startup fails (see log at )
I've tried many combinations of read-only eclipse.org drops and not
initializing and I'm currently thinking that the deciding factor here is
the pre-initialization we do. The only time I seem to be able to
duplicate my problem is when I use a pre-initialized 3.4.0 and upgrade
to 3.4.1 in the same read-only location.
These are the files in the read-only shared installation that I think
are in play here:
configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/<bundle # of .so-including bundles>
configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/.bundledata.<a # ... it's 1 in my case>
configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/.lazy.<a # ... it's 1 in my case>
configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/.state.<a # ... it's 1 in my case>
If anyone has any insight as to what is causing this and/or what I can
do about it and/or what files I can remove from the above list that will
allow the .so files to remain in the read-only location and not get
extracted to the user's home directory I'd really appreciate hearing it.
I'm sort of at a loss as to how to proceed and I really want 3.4.1 to
ship in Fedora 10 and not 3.4.0.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians,