Von: osgi-wg <osgi-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> im Auftrag von BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 1. November 2022 14:46
An: OSGI Working Group
Betreff: Re: [osgi-wg] [eclipsecon] Some Feedback on "What OSGi-WG can do better to help their users"

NOTE: This email originated from outside of our organization. Please be mindful of phishing attempts.

The BOF at EclipseCon was not an official OSGi WG function. It was just people interested in OSGi technology getting together. So, the fact that some people in attendance expressed a technical dislike of PDE’s “Manifest-first� approach must not be taken as some official position of the OSGi WG. OSGi community members often wear many hats. They contribute to OSGi specification developments as well as open source projects which implement OSGi specifications and OSGi tooling. People will have personal preferences for the projects they work on.

Tools are a concern of all developers. We all have many tools to choose from to accomplish our jobs. As far as the OSGi specifications go, they do specify behaviors for tooling but do not prescribe specific tool implementations. For example, DS annotation processing is specified and multiple tool implementations process them (e.g., Bnd, PDE). I would not support the OSGi WG or OSGi specifications mandating any specific tooling implementation. But I also support individuals having opinions and preferences.

Finally, I object to your characterization that the BOF was not "respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences". Many viewpoints were expressed but not all viewpoints were agreed with by all in attendance. Each person was able to express their viewpoint in a professional manner. No person was treated unprofessionally or disrespectfully. Disagreeing with a viewpoint does not imply disrespect of the person expressing that viewpoint.

--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM // office: +1 386 848 1781