[orion-dev] How I recovered from failure to [Set as Target Platform] to org.eclipse.orion

* Motivation

Perhaps this can help someone else encountering similar problems
building eclipse orion lately.

* Intro

For many month I would occasionally update my eclipse installation
once downloaded as
eclipse-standard-kepler-R-linux-gtk.tar.gz

It meanwhile displays
eclipse LUNA
during startup and identifies as 4.4.0.I20131126-0800

* The Problem

When I tried to [Set as Target Platform] for org.eclipse.orion.target
over the weekend it always fail early.

What I was able to get it down to is that it even fails to reload the
download sites.

Here is one exemplar error message:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2014-02-09 21:07:41.331
!MESSAGE Provisioning exception
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: Error while reading
from repository:
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna/compositeContent.jar.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.CacheManager.updateCache(CacheManager.java:371)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.CacheManager.createCache(CacheManager.java:208)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.CompositeMetadataRepositoryFactory.getLocalFile(CompositeMetadataRepositoryFactory.java:73)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.CompositeMetadataRepositoryFactory.load(CompositeMetadataRepositoryFactory.java:98)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.factoryLoad(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:57)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.loadRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:768)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.loadRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:668)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:96)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:92)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.LoadMetadataRepositoryJob.doLoad(LoadMetadataRepositoryJob.java:117)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.LoadMetadataRepositoryJob.runModal(LoadMetadataRepositoryJob.java:102)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.sdk.PreloadingRepositoryHandler$2.runModal(PreloadingRepositoryHandler.java:83)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProvisioningJob.run(ProvisioningJob.java:177)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.transport.ecf 4 1002 2014-02-09 21:07:41.332
!MESSAGE Error while reading from repository:
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna/compositeContent.jar.

Plugin-in Development
Target Platform
is
org.eclipse.orion (Active)

* Solution

So, today I decided to start over and downloaded
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/luna/M5/eclipse-standard-luna-M5-linux-gtk.zip

It was immediately able to reload its download sites, where my

I was able to  [Set as Target Platform] to org.eclipse.orion (it took
quite long) and it than quickly built without errors.

My local orion server is up and running again, I am happy.

I just double-checked and compared and I can not figure out what I
might have gotten wrong so badly with the old eclipse install.

So this is just confirmation that it works fine to build latest HEAD
master of eclipse orion with eclipse-standard-luna-M5-linux-gtk under
ubuntu 13.10.

Regards,
Adrian

Back to the top