Re: [orion-dev] Contribution towards Orion and guidance for Gsoc.

Hi
See my earlier message to the eclipse GSoC list from today on the App store idea.

Yes, we are very interested in server side compilation of languages and would be interested in the implementation of a framework for them.  One key issue is scalability.  Orion is a multi-user server so the framework would need to accommodate 1000's of users.

There are several things to look into such as how to get annotation, content assist, markup, back to the Orion editors after save.  The XText Eclipse Project has done some examples here but not with the full Orion client, only a subset.  As well, the Scripted editor does have a communications channel for this information since they are running the Orion editor on top of a node.js server for their desktop Editor implementation.

To propose this project you must be very clear in your goals and the path toward fulfilling these goals.  It is a significant amount of work.

Ken Walker
Co-Lead Eclipse Orion Project | Tools for the Web, On the Web
http://orionhub.org | http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion
@kwalker | @orionhub

Inactive hide details for nalin chhibber ---2013/04/20 01:51:07 PM---Hello World! My name is Nalin (codeinjector) , a third yeanalin chhibber ---2013/04/20 01:51:07 PM---Hello World! My name is Nalin (codeinjector) , a third year student of Computer Science

nalin chhibber <nalin.chhibber@xxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,

2013/04/20 01:51 PM

[orion-dev] Contribution towards Orion and guidance for Gsoc.

    Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello World!
My name is Nalin (codeinjector) , a third year student of Computer Science & Engineering from MSIT/Indraprastha University New Delhi, India. I am very delighted to work for orion , have cloned the git repositories for server and client side modules and trying to play with the code to get more understanding of features of the overall product.

I would love to create an app store or portal for Orion plugins which is currently being managed with the git repository.I will try my
best to keep the interface as much professional and as much dynamic as possible. I am also considering the overall layout of mozzila's addon's page , chrome's webstore and  google's play store
I feel confident in doing the job because I have decent knowledge of J2EE and web-services and have previously worked on a number of projects. Apart from this, I personally feel this to be little less as a GSOC project and would also love to work on the server side aspect of Eclipse-Orion. I read some articles and get to know that the core team is primarily focusing on client-side languages(HTML/CSS/JS) . I would like to give an entire new dimension by providing an option to compile JAVA servlets and run jsp pages within the orion server which would enable one to create basic web applications. I see a create "site" option at the top toolbar that allows the user to create basic websites on html with css/js support. I would love to work on this part because I myself have created an IDE for java (
Codeasy) which is licensed under GNU GPL v3 .Codeasy can be downloaded from here and sourceforge.net/projects/codeasy. Since the server side compilation of java code is not yet supported nor been mentioned at the "ideas" page, I would like to know if its a potential project to be done for gsoc or shall I stick with the "apps portal for orion plugins".
To ensure my strong participation, I am also trying my hands on creating some basic plugin-support for orion.

I would appreciate if I get further directions to proceed and get some entry level bugs to solve or jobs that might be helpful in better understanding of orion codebase .

Regards,
Nalin_C(codeinjector)

www.nalinchhibber.com