Re: [orion-dev] Orion coding conventions

thanks, Mark, this is great!

I cornered Simon a little while ago to talk templates.  I updated the HTML template discussion based on our shared understanding of the world right now.  Anyone else who has opinions as to the pros and cons of the different techniques, please chime in on the wiki.  Having more consistency and possibly using HTML template elements is a post-2.0 item, but I thought writing it up now would help to explain the myriad approaches found in our client right now, and why one technique might be preferable to another....

susan

Inactive hide details for Mark Macdonald ---01/28/2013 01:22:39 PM---I've beefed up the Coding Conventions<http://wiki.eclipse.Mark Macdonald ---01/28/2013 01:22:39 PM---I've beefed up the Coding Conventions<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Coding_conventions>[1] page

From: Mark Macdonald <mamacdon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/28/2013 01:22 PM
Subject: [orion-dev] Orion coding conventions
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I've beefed up the Coding Conventions [1] page on the Orion wiki.

This page has been sparse for a long time as Orion evolved, but I think we're now in a good position to flesh it out. I've started by adding some sections on:
  • Style tips
  • JS pitfalls to avoid
  • Recipes for common tasks in Orion: writing an AMD module, creating a URL, making an XHR call, writing a visual component with an HTML template, etc.
  • Where things should go in the source tree (pages, CSS, etc)
This knowledge currently exists only in contributors' heads, so I'd like to formally capture as much of it on this page as we can. In particular, the HTML and "visual component" sections need some help.

If you have any tips that might help other contributors (especially new contributors), please add to it. Basically any time you find yourself saying "Wow, I'll never do that again", it's probably something worth including.

Mark

[1]
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Coding_conventions