Re: [orion-dev] An overall feedback

JH>Thank you for the feedback Lamine, you have an interesting project and it is great to see people exploring different ways to adopt and integrate Orion.

Thank you John for your nice feedback. Yes, a diversity of vision on something is absolutely needed if we want it to be something great.

JH> Without getting into a big debate here, I will say it was a very deliberate decision in Orion to avoid recreating the traditional IDE experience in a single tab. We deliberately went instead for lightweight, focused, linked pages that flow with how the web works today. Some background on these decisions can be found in these links:

Thank you for having shared with me these links and the rationale of your design. Yes, the UI is definitely the tricky part since it is the visible and what is visible can only be the subject of controversies. An IDE like a website is the thing but when I'm in the editor page, I want it really to behave like a SPA (Single Page Application). Going back and forth is definitely what I cannot do. Regarding now the architecture of Orion, we are using basically the same approach. JS on the client-side talking to stateless RESTful web services written with Groovy. But I have also found a way to how to integrate JAX-RS with JSF so that I can have the concept of a " UI Component" that can help me to encapsulate my work and avoid the duplication of the markup among my web pages. And my Multi-Templating system is also built on top of Facelets. The last thing I did also, was to make everything available through REST since I have learned that installation is the worth thing that one can do. So just tell to my system, where your plugins are located and it will definitely use them remotely where they are.....

     <plugin location="........................"/>
     <editor location="........................"/>
     <template location="........................"/>
     <module location="........................"/>

Best Regards
Lamine

________________________________
Envoyé le : Mardi 11 décembre 2012 19h48
Objet : Re: [orion-dev] An overall feedback

Thank you for the feedback Lamine, you
have an interesting project and it is great to see people exploring different
ways to adopt and integrate Orion.

Without getting into a big debate here,
I will say it was a very deliberate decision in Orion to avoid recreating
the traditional IDE experience in a single tab. We deliberately went instead
for lightweight, focused, linked pages that flow with how the web works
today. Some background on these decisions can be found in these links:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Development_principles
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Project_mission_statement
http://www.slideshare.net/bokowski/orion-8414877

John

From:
 lamine <laminba2003@xxxxxxxx>
To:
 "orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx"
<orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:
 12/06/2012 06:19 PM
Subject:
   [orion-dev]
An overall feedback
Sent by:
   orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
________________________________

Hi,

As an overall feedback and from what I have learned in experimenting several
Cloud IDEs, the key thing of their possible success is really in the UI
and in the user experience. And personally, I will definitely use one of
them to build my web application in the Cloud if they do respect my current
developer experience by bringing at least the concept of an IDE that can
run in a single browser tab. And the reason is fairly simple, It is really
costly in terms of memory to have many browser tab instances opened at
the same time ( Youtube, Twitter....) and as stated by Steve Krug, the
key thing to usability is this : Don't make me think.

1)  http://www.amazon.com/Think-Common-Sense-Approach-Usability/dp/0789723107

You can see now what is going on when a file is opened with my concept
of views and with my console (Config Button : show Logs=true). And any
error during this operation is catched to launch the problems view so that
my system can fall gracefully. Clicking on the views button at the very
bottom of the page or Shift + V will show you all my registered views.
And maybe, an outliner could be the next?

2) http://youcontrol.lamine.cloudbees.net/faces/admin/editors/edit.xhtml?id=Orion

Thanks
Lamine