[orion-dev] "Recent commits on origin/master"

On git/git-status.html the bottom half is labeled

Recent commits on origin/master

I believe this title is not correct, or at least it is confusing. I
think of "origin/master" as the remote repo. The content in this
section a list of the local replica of origin/master (or so I imagine,
it's what |git fetch| updates).

But rather than changing the title, I suggest changing the content.
The vast majority of the time a dev will want to understand the remote
state, not the local replica of the remote state.  With the limited
git command set available through the UI, I'm unsure if we can do
anything with the local replica other than merge it. So between the
time we merge and the next time we look at the git status page, the
content in the bottom area is pointless. It only shows the log
messages we have already merged into our working branch. We can't
compare it to our commits because it's already out of date.

So a concrete suggestion: asynchronously issue git fetch and update
the bottom area 1) every time we update git status, 2) once every 5
minutes.

jjb

Back to the top