Re: [orion-dev] Making the Editor easier to reuse

I am not a big fun of animations myself, but that is besides the point. We should have the support and the ability to enable/disable it.

I agree with you that the only way to get it consistently is if it is done by textView.js or if there is a hook so that it can be done in editor.js (probably an onScrolling event). I actually prefer the second option, but on iPad for example, the user expects scrolling to be smooth (with inertia) and I would say in this case it has to be done by textview.js (unless the user agent adds scrolling to contentEditable divs).

Silenio

From: Boris Bokowski <bokowski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/27/2011 05:24 PM
Subject: Re: [orion-dev] Making the Editor easier to reuse
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Felipe (and Silenio),

Mihai wrote:
editor.js:

- We need to be able to enable/disable animations.

I quite like the fact that the Orion editor has the ability to animate the scrolling, but I realize that some people perceive it as a waste of time [1]. What's worse, the animations are not consistent. For example, page up/page down does not animate.

My gut feeling is that the ability to animate (or not) would be best moved into textView.js, instead of trying to implement it at a higher layer. This would make it much easier to ensure consistency. What do you think?

Boris

[1] Personally, I'd rather have the editor spend 300 ms showing me how the editor contents are changing, than my brain spending roughly the same time trying to re-orient itself. Is it just me?_______________________________________________
orion-dev mailing list
orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx