[orion-dev] Orion and a domain-specific IDE

Hi,

quick intro, as I'm new: I'm Axel Hecht from Mozilla, Pike on mozilla's irc server, mozPike on freenode (rarely). I'm working on l10n infrastructure, and as most of our tools, hacking on those in python.

On to my real question:

I'm interested in a domain-specific IDE, in particular, an "integrated localization environment", with things like "discover new strings" to syntax checks to "get me a test build".

Now, for some things orion is an obvious fit, but I wonder what your thoughts are on integrating the orion editor into a different work environment. Some data points: we probably want a mercurial back end, translation suggestions for code completion, project overview should compare to English, so there'd be richer metadata to both the project as well as some form of navigator.

We have existing code for the back end in python, and we've got about zero java hackers, just to spice the question up a bit :-).

Naively, it looks like we could take a stab at figuring out java and how to extend/bend-its-arms the IDE parts, or try to replicate the server API for the orion editor client to talk to in python. Not so naively, I'm scared of both.

Thanks

Axel

Back to the top