[orion-dev] getting started playing vs getting started transitioning

This is just a comment out of frustration.

I can see the top level page adding features for users to get started with orion, github, initializr, upload zip. But from my perspective these are practical only for a quick look around. As Orion advertises prominently across the bottom, "beware". Realistically I need to work with Orion + some fall back plan (eg eclipse) for some time to come. Unless I am missing something, this means working with orion.file.allowedPaths + file links, a solution which (let me try to say this nicely) does not put orion in the best possible light.

Maybe this is already in plan, but some suggestions:
1) allow and encourage (only) forward slashes in file paths in orion.conf. Java and Windows API work fine with forward slashes. Maybe this works but the docs encourage double backslash and claim we should enter exactly the same path in orion.conf and in the file link dialog (oh, but not *double* backslash so it's not even exactly the same path). 2) get rid of the file linking dialog box all together. It allows arbitrary text input but the server does not. The dialog should offer only the entries in the orion.file.allowedPaths since this is all the server will allow. That would eliminate user errors from text entry and it would give feedback on the orion.conf values. 3) Allow the user to navigate down the allowPaths value to select a branch other than root. (otherwise they may be burnt by bug 348040). 4) Obey the link name given by the user. If I say "fbug" as the link name I don't want "/a" or "/J", I want /fbug. And I sure don't want a different value if I create the "same" link later.

Ok, now back to renaming all of my URLs.

jjb

Back to the top