[orbit-dev] Fw: Remaining issues for Orbit Recipes Adoption

Trying once again to "get this message through".
(I opened bug 486216 on "mailing list" problems ... if anyone else has sent one since January 7th, you might need to resend? )

----- Forwarded by David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM on 01/20/2016 08:13 PM -----

From:        David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM
To:        orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Cc:        Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roland Grunberg <rgrunber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        01/20/2016 02:03 PM
Subject:        Re: Remaining issues for Orbit Recipes Adoption

> and I was wondering if lack of pack200 support would be a deal-breaker.

Yes. We definitely need pack200 versions of all jars produced.
In fact, we need any "new build" to produce exactly what the "old build" does.

Well, with a few exceptions.
The exceptions I know about are some old "map formats" that were published on download page,
and have been deprecated for a long time:

map file in CVS, text format (Deprecated. The p2 format map file is recommended. See Orbit Builds for Consumers)
map file in GET, http format (Deprecated. The p2 format map file is recommended. See Orbit Builds for Consumers)

But otherwise, as far as I am concerned, everything else needs to be there before we can say it is ready.
Especially the same tests ran, etc.

I am a little surprised that is not well understood, especially about pack200. My apologies if I have not communicated that well.

We do not want to "move backwards" in anyway.

Also, why is this communication not happening on "orbit-dev" list? Please use that list to state current status and plans and/or ask questions.

From my point of view, at one point we hoped that the repo we produce for Mars.2 would be our last use of "the old build".
But that is no longer feasible. There are already a few cases of "things for Neon" in the old build that would not make sense to "through away".
I still need to add a new version of ICU4J, and since the new build is not ready yet for prime time, I think I will use the old build for that.

Glad to hear there is some progress being made, but I still do not have a good sense of where things are, or who is doing what.

Thanks,