Re: [orbit-dev] Lucene 5.2.1 into orbit-recipes (EBR)

> > I can almost guarantee you that there will be other bundles providing
> > org.apache.lucene.* packages in the wild (our companny builds its own
> > non-Orbit Lucene 4.9, for example). IMHO, uses directives are absolutely
> > necessary to allow Equinox to wire the Lucene bundles consistently.
>
> I guess for diagnosing issues that might come up and ensuring things get
> wired correctly we can add it in.
>
> @Marcel, is there any reason that past Lucene bundles didn't really do this ?
> Looking back, I think I saw maybe one uses-clause in one lucene bundle, so
> maybe it was just done on an as-needed basis.

Short answer is "yes, take advantage of uses-clauses now."

But to give some historical perspective ...

In the past, there was some concern (from Equinox) that if it was ALWAYS done, it might
lead to some performance problems. Not so much for the tiny SDK :) but especially for
those that have products of thousands of bundles.

But, IMing just now with Tom, he confirmed "should be better now" (as of Mars).
Primarily since some work was done on the resolver (in collaboration with Felix)
and that complicated resolver code should be better optimized now.

So, hope that explains why it was done only on an "as needed" basis in the past
(we were not JUST lazy ... though that's always true :) but the original reasons
no longer hold and should be no longer a need for caution.