[orbit-dev] Question on details of export, import, and requires

I've been thinking of improving the constraints specified by our xerces,
and javax.xml bundles, etc. and have a few questions.

1. If "import-packages" is specified, is there any reason to also specify
"require-bundle"? I'd suspect not, but would it be wrong to? In
particular, I'm thinking of the "Require-Bundle: system.bundle" technique
we've used. We do that so our bundle would "override" anything found from
the java VM, so am wondering it there's an equivalent concept with
Import-package, or if it would not be required in that case.

2. How to specify ranges? When we 'require bundles' we always specify a
range, such as [1.3.4, 2.0.0). Is that still important when using import
package? I'd assume so ... but, sure seems tedious. :) What about on
"uses" ... any ranges to specify there?

3. I've heard, as I'm sure we all have, we should import what we export.
See
http://www.osgi.org/blog/2007/04/importance-of-exporting-nd-importing.html
While counter-intuitive, I can see the rationale to be a "good osgi
citizen" ... but, what to do about ranges then? We are obviously only
exporting exactly one version ... I assume we'd import only that exact
same version ... even if ranges specified on other imports?

Thanks for any insights.

Back to the top