[orbit-dev] ISO-8829-1 encoding for Orbit ???

Hi all,

On the Wiki I just found this:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Adding_Bundles_to_Orbit#National_Language_Considerations

"... it is recommend you set the project's default encoding preference to ISO-8829-1.."

Is this a typo and meant to be ISO-8859-1 (which would be more familiar to me)?
How do we treat chracters not available in ISO-8859-1 e.g. foreign names of
contributors in copyright comments, with accents and other odd characters?

Shouldn't we re-use the encoding used by the original library provider, if they
need special characters and chose to adopt a particular encoding?

I think the real point here is that most sources out there in the wild use
ISO-8859-1 and that's the real reason for adopting it by default. However,
Java does support Unicode (UTF-8) and HTML can even specify encoding
in the source file so I'm a little confused...

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top