[orbit-dev] On the need for CQs

David Williams pointed out an anomaly the other day.  It seems that we have 125+ bundles in the Orbit builds (including source) but only about 23 CQs in IPzilla related to tools.orbit.  In practice these two numbers should be about the same (after factoring out the source bundles).  The IP process requires a CQ *whenever* a project chooses to use *any* third party lib regardless of whether or not that lib has already been approved for use in other projects.  AFAIK, this is true in *all* cases.  Once a lib has been approved for one project, other projects can apply to "reuse" that lib.  This reuse process is very quick and painless and the CQ workflow has a simplified process for entering such CQs.

Given that we appear to be somewhat out of whack right now, I'm working with Janet and the Foundation to see how best to get back in line.  Regardless, Orbit committers please be sure to enter the required CQs.  We can eliminate questions simply by saying that every lib added to Orbit must have a bug requesting the addition and every such bug MUST quote a CQ that is specific to the lib's use in tools.orbit.

Thanks

Jeff

p.s., for those of you wondering why we have to do this, it is because the board wants to know which projects are using which third party code.  This is a notification issue not so much an approval issue.  Janet and friends are just following the process set out for them by the board.

Back to the top