[orbit-dev] Orbit Europa Maintena~n~ce Release candidate ready

Please take a look at the "R-build" in the committers area.

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/committers/

I did a sanity check on the directory names/numbers and it all looked as I would have expected ...
(only ICU changed) but didn't do any deeper "diffs", or even look inside the new ones.

I had to change the build scripts in a number of places to use a maintenance branch,
(which is a branch of a branch :)
so these three projects have all be branched,
org.eclipse.orbit.releng
org.eclipse.orbit.releng.builder
org.eclipse.orbit.releng set1

to the branch named Europa_maintenace (sic)

It was not me that misspelled it originally, but I did perpetuate it, to stay consistent :)

Also note, I had to create a new CC target (orbit-M) to get things
started off with the new branch name, instead of "set1".

Kim Moir <Kim_Moir@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/11/2007 11:06 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release

Actually, it would be nice to have a stable Orbit build by the end of this week, given that  *gulp* 3.4M2 starts next week.  I think we agreed last year that the Orbit builds should be -1.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Promotion%2C_Release%2C_and_Retention_Policies

Kim

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/11/2007 09:31 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release

> David, can we spin a new R-build with the latest tagged builder (I updated
> the builder.cfg) and run it from the map file with the v200709101600
> version?

Should be able to ... I'll have to take a look and allow my memory to resurface.

I will, also, promote one of the latest I-builds to the declared 'downloads' area, since there is new stuff
in there, and want to make sure at least one version sticks around for anyone who
needs it. Does anyone need an S build produced for Ganymede ... we'd have to by 9/21, I believe.

DJ Houghton <DJ_Houghton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/10/2007 04:14 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release

Ok, since we haven't heard anything more about other teams needing a
rebuild, so I will assume that we will go ahead and spin with only the ICU
changes for the Platform team.

For now I have done the following:
- changed the builder so it doesn't run the tests (that always fail)
- branched the org.eclipse.orbit.releng project (Europa_maintenance branch)
from the version that was used to produce our last recommended build
(vR200706192011)
- updated the map file to include the new versions of the ICU bundles
- tagged the org.eclipse.orbit.releng project with v200709101600.

David, can we spin a new R-build with the latest tagged builder (I updated
the builder.cfg) and run it from the map file with the v200709101600
version?

Thanks.

orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/05/2007 09:01:36 PM:

> #1 is fine but we need to ensure that only things we want changed
> are changed and the state is somehow reproducable.  So does that
> result in actually doing #2?
>
> In the future perhaps we should review how we are doing this.  The
> build really has three outputs, the individual bundles, the
> aggregated set of bundles that appear in the big zip and the map
> files associated with each build.  All of these results are consumed
> in different ways.  In particular, some people use the map files and
> merge the orbit map with their maps and so pick up whatever orbit
> produced.  This is simple and convenient but it means that we must
> always ensure the map file for any retained build is also readily
> available.    The alternative is that people copy bits of the orbit
> map file into their own map file.  this effectively forks the file
> and may increase the chance that project A uses one version of
> bundle X while project B uses another.
>
> The correlation between map files and aggregated zips also forces us
> into a streamed mindset. Everything is fine when we are all working
> towards one release but maintenance streams and projects releasing
> on a different schedule gum that up.
>
> Right now I do not have a complete solution/approach in my head.
> For all I know I am making up the problems.  But it would be good to
> start thinking about these issues early so we don't get caught out later.

> Jeff
>

> David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/05/2007 04:52 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release
>

> My preference is number 1, just promote another R-build.
>
> Seems easy and uncomplicated.
>

> DJ Houghton <DJ_Houghton@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/05/2007 04:19 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release
>

> Hello all,
>
> We thought we could get away from doing any more Orbit builds for Europa
> but it looks like the Platform team will be requesting a new version of
ICU