Re: [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release

Ok, since we haven't heard anything more about other teams needing a
rebuild, so I will assume that we will go ahead and spin with only the ICU
changes for the Platform team.

For now I have done the following:
- changed the builder so it doesn't run the tests (that always fail)
- branched the org.eclipse.orbit.releng project (Europa_maintenance branch)
from the version that was used to produce our last recommended build
(vR200706192011)
- updated the map file to include the new versions of the ICU bundles
- tagged the org.eclipse.orbit.releng project with v200709101600.

David, can we spin a new R-build with the latest tagged builder (I updated
the builder.cfg) and run it from the map file with the v200709101600
version?

Thanks.

orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/05/2007 09:01:36 PM:

> #1 is fine but we need to ensure that only things we want changed
> are changed and the state is somehow reproducable.  So does that
> result in actually doing #2?
>
> In the future perhaps we should review how we are doing this.  The
> build really has three outputs, the individual bundles, the
> aggregated set of bundles that appear in the big zip and the map
> files associated with each build.  All of these results are consumed
> in different ways.  In particular, some people use the map files and
> merge the orbit map with their maps and so pick up whatever orbit
> produced.  This is simple and convenient but it means that we must
> always ensure the map file for any retained build is also readily
> available.    The alternative is that people copy bits of the orbit
> map file into their own map file.  this effectively forks the file
> and may increase the chance that project A uses one version of
> bundle X while project B uses another.
>
> The correlation between map files and aggregated zips also forces us
> into a streamed mindset. Everything is fine when we are all working
> towards one release but maintenance streams and projects releasing
> on a different schedule gum that up.
>
> Right now I do not have a complete solution/approach in my head.
> For all I know I am making up the problems.  But it would be good to
> start thinking about these issues early so we don't get caught out later.

> Jeff
>

> David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/05/2007 04:52 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release
>

> My preference is number 1, just promote another R-build.
>
> Seems easy and uncomplicated.
>

> DJ Houghton <DJ_Houghton@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/05/2007 04:19 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> [orbit-dev] Builds for Europa Maintenance Release
>

> Hello all,
>
> We thought we could get away from doing any more Orbit builds for Europa
> but it looks like the Platform team will be requesting a new version of
ICU