Re: [orbit-dev] Another exception to normal naming scheme: org.apache.xerces.xml.apis?

> what's preventing a split into three different distributions?

Just the investigation into how this jar, distributed by Xerces, differs from that available from
the oriignal sources (the xerces (xml-common) web pages says it differs a little, but it's not spelled out anywhere).

> since the affected API's are now part of the standard and included in the JRE (I
> think starting with 1.4).

case in point, the versions in various JRE's, even in 1.4, are slightly different.
And, very different in 1.3. I suspect they are the same in 1.5, but still subject
to be "out of date" with the what ever is used by the latest and greatest Xerces implementation.

> Just out of curiosity, who needs these interfaces separately today?

You mean in Eclipse? No one _needs_ it, AFAIK ... some just thought it a good idea to be a bit smaller
if someone was only using a one of the interfaces (if I recall right, though, javax.xml and org.sax both depend
on org.w3c.dom, so in practice would never save too too much  .. and, as it is, is only 200K now. (Which is
why I am not too motiviated to do the investigation on wha and how different from the originals).

So ... did you have an alternative name that would be better than org.apache.xerces.xml.apis?

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/16/2007 09:12 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Another exception to normal naming        scheme:        org.apache.xerces.xml.apis?

Hi David,
what's preventing a split into three different distributions? In my
opinion, naming it org.apache.xerces adds to the confusion since the
affected API's are now part of the standard and included in the JRE (I
think starting with 1.4).

Just out of curiosity, who needs these interfaces separately today?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren