From: Aleksandar Micic <Aleksandar_Micic@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 20 Nov 2017 8:21 pm
To: openj9-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [openj9-dev] OpenJ9 question

Hi Akrus, here are responses to a few questions:

2) with -Xgcpolicy:metronome and heap >25Gb I get this message:
Selected VM [default] does not exist.

Metronome does support heaps larger than 25g however it does not support
4-bit shift Compressed Refs for heaps 32g-64g. The observed behavior is a
problem in redirector. The work around would be run with -Xnocompressedrefs
or run with -Xcompressedrefs but with limitation of virtual memory below
32g

3) what's the best GC option for low latency apps? Does do not say this
directly, but is it Metronome? Are there any flags than can further reduce
GC pauses? -Xrealtime doesn't work, is it unavailable completely or it's a
part of some subscription?

Yes, Metronome GC policy is best for low latency. Tuning options are here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYKE2_8.0.0/com.ibm.java.lnx.80.doc/user/mgc/metronome.html

We also have the very new low-pause variant on Gencon GC policy with
Concurrent Scavenger, but it's only available on newest IBM's Z series
machines.

5) how to rotate GC logs?

Rolling verbose GC logs:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYKE2_8.0.0/com.ibm.java.lnx.80.doc/diag/appendixes/cmdline/xverbosegclog.html
 Not sure what is meant by flush on signal. Our logs are by default
synchronous, so there is no need for an explicit flush for ongoing logging
- they are written in a file as soon as they are generated. If, however, by
this is meant: close the current file and start using a new file, I don't
think we support it.

Regards,
Aleks

Back to the top