[openhw-asia-wg] Notes from AWG call today (Sep 24 Asia time, 2022)

Some notes for review from AWG members

The project analysis roadmap/framework is showing good progress

A description of many Chinese software projects have been added to the document.

Some points discussed today

  • For OpenHW projects, OpenHW staff can prepare a survey of Asian members of OpenHW, who would be asked to comment on each of our active projects:
  • Does your organization have interest in this OPenHW project
    1 - no interest
    2 - potential interest in adopting or contributing
    3 - definite interest in adopting on contributing
    Comment: please describe the nature of your interest"
  • We can include a summary of results in the roadmap report. Draft survey to be circulated to Steering Committee.
  • Some specifics discussed about current open source projects in China (many in PLCT lab)
    • Difftest co-simulation framework. Suggest Kan Shi to present in Verification TG
    • NEMU: Mengjie can present current work at Software TG
    • LLVM: Core-V llvm is not as well organized as it could be. Chunyu Liao is a leader of PLCT llvm team. Suggest that Chunyu could present overview of work on LLVM at SW TG and look for synergy with OpenHW work
    • QEMU: PLCT already proposed an accepted OpenHW project
    • RVV benchmarks within GEM5 framework: Presentation at Cores TG?
    • sparcians-map (plct fork) assess with Cores TG if there is interest in processor architecture simulation with this work
    • riscv-operating-system-mooc: Author Chen Wang. Teaches students how to write operating system. Let’s discuss with OSU professor who is creating a RISC-V architecture course for comments
    • RT-Thread. Important real time OS for Chinese IOT market. Wei Wu is in touch with this community. He sees interest in core-v-mcu. We should get some discussion going under Wei Wu’s leadership
  • Discussion of IP licenses
    • Chinese Mulan v2 is a new license very similar to Apache 2.0 but written in both Chinese and English
    • As far as is know, does not currently include Solderpad 2.1 hardware features.
    • Suggest we open discussion with OpenHW partner (Moorcrafts) who is expert in licensing to explore what is an appropriate hardware oriented license approach for Chinese partners (are they ok to use Solderpad 2.1 or is it advantageous to have Chinese language support, if so, how)
  • Action: we need similar descriptions of Asian open source hardware projects.
    • Request to Yunhai (Alibaba) and Kan Shi (ICT-CAS) to help out

Thank you all for a very efficient meeting!

Duncan

Duncan Bees

Vancouver, Canada

Director, Technical Programs