[openhw-asia-wg] Notes from OpenHW AWG call today

Hi Everyone

Thanks for participating today. Here are a few notes

We reviewed a  roadmap document. Next steps are for AWG members to edit that document directly with

  •  comments on existing open-source projects in Asia. We especially need information about the T-head projects
  • comments about how OpenHW projects are interesting in China
  • comparison between Chinese open-source licenses in use (eg Mulan) and OpenHW licenses (Apache 2.0, Solderpad, EPL)
  • comments on gap analysis – where are priorities from the Chinese ecosystem for open-source processors, accelerators and supporting s/w

We aim to have a working draft by next month and final publishable version of this roadmap document by October. Please encourage other Asian members of OpenHW Group and Eclipse to get involved to help work on this.

Another topic was suggestion by Mingjie and WeiWu to consider translating all the MCU and devkit presentations from OpenHW into Chinese to make this more practical for Chinese users. Wei Wu feels it is practical for Chinese users to get the FPGA emulation platforms to start using the CORE-V MCU and SDK.

We should think about staging a demonstration at a future Chinese event to promote the use of the MCU.

Wei Wu mentioned that the recent OpenHW presentation at 6th Beijing Chip Power Conference was interesting to Chinese audience and they were surprised that OpenHW has an Asia Working Group (with Eclipse Foundation)

We discussed OpenHW Group repo requirements and as yet, nobody has any reason to think that the existing Github repos are unsuitable for Chinese projects

QEMU is already being presented as a project concept from IS-CAS on Monday’s OpenHW TWG meeting (thank you WeiWei and Wei Wu). So AWG is doing it’s job already!!

Monday’s TWG meeting, which will discuss several project proposals including Advanced Verification Methodology, is on Monday at 10 AM Eastern Time Zone North America. That is I believe 22:00 in China on Monday. The zoom coordinate is

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84114406254?pwd=S3RUNlJ0bVdGMGNZckJ1elBEOGtTdz09 Meeting ID: 841 1440 6254 Passcode: 300323

Duncan Bees

Vancouver, Canada

Director, Technical Programs