[oomph-dev] Headless Oomph

Hi Oomph-dev,

One of the team working Ericsson felt a need for a headless use of Oomph so they developed their own.

As you can see below, these are the reasons they felt a need for this tool :

"Actually there are several reasons why we developed a different interface. Right now we are using the oomph CLI as a bootstrapper for our eclipse installations. What we need to be able to do is to install/use a specific set of plugins/features depending the version of the source code in a git repository. So what we do is that we have the setup files stored in git. The oomph CLI reads those setup files and installs/starts the corresponding eclipse version.

These requirements lead to the CLI version:

1)      Use oomph because of all the rich features.

2)      Be able to bootstrap eclipse i.e. if the install exists start eclipse else install.

3)      Be able to force installation of a specific version.

4)      Be able to force pool location.

5)      Unattended installation

6)      Local installation

So far the CLI interface has been well received by tool developers and the Ericsson community in general. But to cut it short, we the tool developers/suppliers want to define/manage the installation the user just triggers it. "

-Mikael Karlbäck

The tool that was developed was based on Oomph core (although the Oomph 1.2 target was used). It is now fully functional and they asked our team (we had a dev that made contributions to Oomph in the past) if they could
contribute that code back to the open source Oomph repository.

Mikael joined the mailing list so he should be able to reply and comment on the details of the implementation if needed. As for the implementation itself, it works with calling arguments like this :

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8 -Xms256m -Xmx2048m
-Dheadless.startup=true
-Demca.launcher.console=true
-Doomph.project.streams=dev
-Doomph.product.id=epp.package.jee
-Doomph.product.version=luna

There are other arguments to specify where the p2 bundle/catalog are, but I'll let Mikael answer those questions, as he's the one that developed the tool.

Right now the code was updated to build against the latest core from Oomph, the package names were changed from com.ericsson.* to org.eclipse.*, but a patch was not pushed yet for review (should be there soon).

We know it's a lot of code in one patch and that is not a good practice, but it's a big feature in our opinion, and we would really like it to be integrated, so we are also aware that there will be lots of review/changes to be made
in order for the code to be compliant.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, but this was mostly to give a heads-up on a feature we would really like to contribute to Oomph.

Best regards

Patrick

Back to the top