Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:17:42 -0500
From: Christopher J Gross <chris.gross@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [nebula-dev] Nebula project structure changes
To: nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Nebula developers,

We've had some recent conversations about project structure.  I think we
all agreed that having one project/plugin per widget was appropriate.
There are a few other changes that we need to make going forward.  I'm
just going to list them here.  Please let me know how you feel.

- Change our structure from a few main plugins to one plugin per widget
   - some general plugins will not change (examples and snippets most
likely)
- Change our terminology from purely widgets to components to reflect new
additions such as JFace viewers and presentations plugins.  This is mostly
a change to the website but also...
- Change our package names from org.eclipse.swt.nebula to
org.eclipse.nebula for the same reason.
   - org.eclipse.nebula.widgets
   - org.eclipse.nebula.viewers
   - org.eclipse.nebula.xxxxx (presentations and other higher level
components)
   - This means we are dropping the use of "swt" and "nebface" in our
package names.   This is also a breaking change for existing users.
- Increasing the quality of our code and documentation through more
restrictive project/compiler settings.
- Package our downloads to include snippets, javadoc (in Eclipse help
plugin?), source (just export our plugins with the source included?), more
that I'm missing?
- others?

I'm hoping that we can finalize this stuff pretty quick.  I have a couple
of days devoted to Nebula stuff and would like us to work out this new
structure and start the actual transition by creating new projects.  Then
I am going to start redesigning the website and more importantly getting
an automated build up and running.

Regards,
-Chris