Re: [nebula-dev] Viewers

Greetings,

First, thank you all for your comments on the topic of viewers in Nebula
- Tom, your work looks really good and I'll be taking a closer look at
implementing it when I get back to the CTableTreeViewer.
Secondly, my father-in-law died last month and my world has been pretty
much turned upside-down.  Thus things with CTableTree have not been
taken care of in as timely or thorough a fashion as I'd like.  This will
continue for at least another month as I'm now preparing to move
cross-country.  Just thought it best people know why I may not respond
for a week (or weeks) at a time.  That being said, getting back to the
project is a great relief, so I've still been active in the code at least.

Chris Gross wrote:
> Currently, the Grid does not support different size rows.  I've thought
> about adding that but it is a difficult feature.  Simple calculations
> become more difficult when you have to take into account all the
> differing heights of the rows above.

> Tom Schindl wrote:
>> Back Virtual-Tables I ask myself how you could precalculate the size
>> of your grid when it comes to different row heights.  I think that's
>> simply impossible, isn't it?

One of the base features of CTableTree is being able to have a different
(and changing) height for every row.  As stated, all ability to have
simple calculations is thrown out the window, and with them, many
chances to optimize for performance.  Thus it seems that Nebula is
shaping up to cover different aspects of the table-like UI fairly well -
Grid is the "Excel" editor people keep looking for, CompositeTable is
the high performance virtual table, and CTableTree... well, it looks
neat :) (actually, among other things, it is a great replacement for
Master/Detail blocks when the UI gets cramped - the Detail part can be
put into the expandable Child Area of a custom cell).  I've manage a bit
of optimization, but without resorting to "estimation", the only way
around needing to calculate _every_ single row height in order to get
the scroll bars and sizing right, is to offer a "constant title height"
style setting.  I already have a similar setting on a per item basis (to
keep the individual cells of an item the same height), perhaps it would
be useful on a table basis as well?

Back to the top