Re: [mylyn-integrators] Alternative UI for mylyn.trac.core

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Tomas Stupka <Tomas.Stupka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
in the NetBeans project we are thinking about  creating a swing UI based on mylyn.tasks.core and ideally (if even possible) it should work while being totally agnostic about a particular connectors specifics. We decided to start with the Trac connector, as it seemed to be simple enough for a prototype implementation, but unfortunately, we already run into a few issues:

Great to hear that you are working on that. We have basic validation for running connectors in headless (non OSGi) environments but there is certainly potential to improve the tasks framework for use with alternative UIs.

- it is impossible to execute a remote operation until the right version (or acces method - Web, XML-RPC) was set on a TaskRepository. Would it be possible to setup the version in TracTaskRepository implicitly, on first remote call (as it is done in TracClientFactory.probeClient), in case it isn't set?

The Trac connector requires an access method to be specified to avoid unexpected changes in behavior when the server configuration changes, e.g. when XML-RPC access would be disabled for some reason offline access and other features would no longer work. We could consider supporting automatic probing  on an implementation level though and still require an explicit access method in the Eclipse UI.

- the current trac connector ui defines a query as an url and passes it over to the core implementation. This mechanism won't work in case some alternative UI implementation (unaware about Trac specifics) would try to pass a query to the tasks framework (and then eventually to mylyn.trac.core). See a possible solution suggested in the attached patch. It would be great if at least a full text search over description, comments and summary was possible.

We'd have to look into that in more detail. Please file a bug and push a review with the proposed changes to https://git.eclipse.org/r.

Thanks,

Steffen

--
Steffen Pingel
Principal Software Engineer, Eclipse Mylyn

Back to the top