[mylyn-dev] Starting out to write a new connector.

Note that this post is feedback on some aspects of Mylyn, based on spending a few days with the mylyn 3.0 API.

I was attempting to port my mingle connector from mylyn 2.x to mylyn 3.0. There was very little code to port, and so I decided to write the connector again, reusing bits and pieces that could make sense.

I managed to checkout mylyn from the 3.0.3 branch, and was surprised to find a lot of unit tests commented out. The tests that remained be sanity checks of sorts.

Writing tests for a basic 'headless' connector involved stepping through the bugzilla code to figure out what the objects are, their responsibilities, relations, etc.

I realized that most of the code I need to setup the environment is internal.

There are a few things that were not too obvious, and I'm hoping someone could answer them:

1. There is no way to get hold of an IRepositoryModel, an instance seems to be created only inside TasksUiPlugin. Why is it inside the UI plugin, when I'd like to be testing these headless.

2. The RepositoryModel takes in a TaskList as a constructor argument. TaskList and the interface it implements ITaskList are both internal, why does an internal class have to have an interface ?

There are many more such questions that come to mind, and I'm hoping that this email is not rejected as unwelcome and unpleasant rant.

-- Ketan

Back to the top