Re: [mylar-dev] dev build for 3.3M7 (Eugene's flame)

Mik Kersten wrote:
>  Also note that average user won't complain about some feature he
> is not aware of. No offense but it is purely lack of imagination.

All: please note that this tone of communication goes completely against the mantra of our project and is not reflective of how other committers think of the user community. For a long time our communication philosophy has been stated as:

"Our philosophy is that the user is always right...
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was wearing my "user hat", so I not supposed to be wrong. Well, I was extreme in expressing the situation, but you can substitute "too shy" instead which really lead to the same result for the project.

Anyways it wasn't meant to discourage discussion, but completely opposite. There is no reason to be shy or hide some opinion.
I never cease to be amazed at the quality of the feedback of both newcommers and seasoned users to suggest features, new ideas, and variations on the existing UI.
Well, I didn't meant to make impression that quality of feedback is low or something. I am hungry for feedback myself and when I don't see enough of it, it drives me crazy, especially when you are using absence of feedback to make certain decisions.

Let me explain. Looking at both dev mailing list and the newsgroup one can get a feeling that for the most part those contain conversation between you and me (well, maybe I should shut up, so someone else would have chance to say something) and some occasional complains about broken update sites. I am tempted to compile some stats, but quick scan give us some averages of 1..2 messages a day. On the other hand your download stats shows that there are thousands of users.
Now we can make certain assumptions based on those two numbers:

-- Most of the Mylar users are completely passive (for whatever reason, including complete happiness with the product) -- There are few unhappy ones (number is probably within few dozen) who complain about something not working -- Few users with ideas or patches (some of them are accounted in the iplog, but I think number is close or less then number of complains).

Now, when you are saying that you haven't got any requests for some feature and want to drop it, you making decision on statistically-incomplete data. So, my interpretation of the same data is that feature should stay and should evolve because nobody asked to remove it.

Mik, I should also mention that you, as a project lead, is not really doing enough to publicize and promote project and too much focused on the technical issues and support. You are, no doubt, busy man, but this activity is also important for the project success, especially for the open source one and I think it is one of the reasons why most of the Mylar users are passive.

I was surprised to learn that there are number of popular Eclipse projects have no clue what Mylar is and why they would benefit from integration with Mylar. It took me couple minutes to explain idea of Task Context to Aptana folks at the JavaOne and it was total news to them.

regards,
Eugene

Back to the top