Re: [mosquitto-dev] two-way communication

Ahmet Tekelioglu via mosquitto-dev <mosquitto-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> To recap, all of the clients are Raspberry Pi
> devices running Raspbian GNU/Linux 10
> (buster) and Mosquitto 1.5.7 and the server is
> a virtual machine running Ubuntu 20.04.4
> (focal) where Mosquitto version is 1.6.9

Wow, that's old!

> I would like to upgrade to the current Mosquitto
> version before investigating the problem any
> further. To upgrade Raspbianā€™s Mosquitto,
> I have followed the instructions at
> https://mosquitto.org/blog/2013/01/mosquitto-debian-repository
> Then I have done apt-get update and upgrade.
> When I run mosquitto from the shell, the version is still 1.5.7, not 2.0.15 as expected.

I just checked an amd64 machine and a RPI, and Debian 11 and Raspbian 11
both have 2.0.11.  I would suggest up-to-date versions of Debian (11)
and Ubuntu (22.04); if you want to run old operating sytems and
up-to-date versions of some software you'll have to figure out how to
deal with that.

In theory one can get a control file and just build on your machine to
make a binary package, but I haven't gotten to that as I use GNU/Linux
only a little.   I don't understand why that isn't a more common path.